This is our current web inventory of Blu-ray, DVD, and video tape movies and documentaries, all related to the railroad.
Great American Steam Locomotives: The Pacific
Visit the history and legacy of the Pacific locomotive in this all-new DVD from Trains magazine. The first release from the Great American Steam Locomotives DVD series, you'll find in-depth interviews and unique video covering these legends. Go behind the scenes with Trains magazine as we delve into the history and legacy of the Pacific type steam locomotives. You'll get in-depth interviews and unique video featuring Santa Fe 4-6-2 in steam, Reading & Northern's amazing Four and a Quarter, Soo Line 6719, Southern Pacific 2400s in steam, and more! 60 minutes.
Great Model Railroads 30-Year Archive DVD-ROM
Complete your collection with the Great Model Railroads 30-Year Archive DVD-ROM! Enjoy 283 full-length articles, each with large, detailed track plans, from the best builders in HO, N, and O scales. Featuring:
- All issues from the very first issue of Great Model Railroads in 1991 through 2020, including many no longer available in print!
- Expert advice and how-to tips from well-known modelers including Paul Dolkos, Lou Sassi, Lance Mindheim, Mark Dance, Doug Tagsold, Gerry Leone, Clark Propst, and many more!
- Modeling ideas and information you can use! Whether starting a new layout or adding to your existing layout, this DVD-ROM is full of ideas and information to use on your next project.
- Easily search each issue, view, zoom in, and bookmark every informative article on your laptop or computer.
Great American Short Lines And Regionals
In this 90-minute DVD, you will get an exclusive overview of short line railroads with the American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association, the industry trade group, and industry experts like the president of the American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association and Trains columnist Bill Stephens. The video visits interesting short lines including:
- Iowa Traction, America's last electric freight line.
- SMS Rail Lines, home of the largest collection of Baldwin diesels still in use.
- Rock Island, an iconic Midwestern railroad reborn as a Mississippi short line.
- Reading & Northern, a Northeastern regional powerhouse.
- Everett Railroad, Wisconsin & Southern, Delaware-Lackawanna, Western New York & Pennsylvania, and Pickens.
- Plus quick shots of 30+ short lines and regionals.
Pullman - America's Hotel on Wheels DVD
Pullman: America's Hotel on Wheels DVD tells the story of a great American institution that was part heavy-industry, part fine hotel, and part vector for social change. This DVD includes:
- Travel on Pullman trains.
- Pullman-built rail cars and accommodations.
- How African American Pullman porters advanced the cause of civil rights.
- Pullman's factory and company town near Chicago.
- Interviews with passenger-train experts.
- Preserved Pullman cars.
- and much more!
Plus, it is filled with rare video footage and still images! Interviews from numerous experts paint an informative and entertaining picture of a unique American institution. Approximate run time is 55 minutes.
CSX at 40
Look back at the creation, evolution, and current operating status of approximately 21,000 route miles of track, and 70 ports incorporated within one of the largest freight carriers in the nation. You'll also see the holiday tradition of the Santa Train delivering 15 tons of gifts across Appalachia! Also includes:
- An Overview of CSX: Look back at the history of CSX and the historic Baltimore & Ohio, Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Air Line and other railroads it incorporates.
- Current Operations of how one of America's largest Class I freight railroads is run.
- CSX Fleet: More than 4,000 locomotives represented in CSX' vast roster through four decades.
- An Interview with Hays T. Watkins, the former president of CSX.
- The Santa Train: Roll through Appalachia with the Santa Train delivering toys, food and school supplies to the families along the route from Shelbiana, Ky. to Kingsport, Tenn.
- And more!
Approximate running time is 60 minutes.
Journey to Promontory
A look at the immense task that was marked on May 10, 1869 with a Golden Spike driven at a lonely place in the Utah desert called Promontory and celebrations around the country following a simple telegraph message. The first transcontinental railroad was a wonder when it was built in 1869. Stretching 1,776 miles between Omaha, Nebraska and Sacramento, California, it linked the nation. Join us for this look at the railroad that Abraham Lincoln launched; the difficult construction project through mountains and across plains that thousands of Chinese and Irish immigrants built.
The Golden Spike Route Today
The Golden Spike Route Today DVD from Kalmbach is a look at Union Pacific's busy mainline 150 years after the driving of the Golden Spike at Promontory, Utah on May 10, 1869. 60 minutes long.
Trains magazine presents famed documentary videographer Rich Luckin's look at one of the most colorful and beautiful passenger trains in the world, Southern Pacific's Daylight. Running between Los Angeles and San Francisco, the Daylight set a high standard for elegance and scenic wonder as it sped along the Pacific coast to the City by the Bay. Join us on board trains Nos. 98 and 99 for this look at one of America's most legendary rides. Approximate running time: 60 minutes
Trains magazine presents documentary video producer Rich Luckin's complete story of the Santa Fe Railway's premier passenger train, hosted by television star Michael Gross. Between Chicago and Los Angeles, the Super Chief was the way to travel, with unparalleled luxury and magnificent Southwestern scenery. Join us for this trip back in time on board the mighty Super Chief! Approximate running time: 60 minutes
Trains magazine presents videographer Rich Luckin's take on one of the world's most iconic railway stations, the Grand Central. Through the eyes of historians, railroaders, and architects, this New York City landmark comes alive. The program includes New York Mayor Ed Koch's last on-camera interview. Meet us at the waiting room clock for this intimate look at one of America's great stations. Approximate running time: 60 minutes
Dome Car Magic
Trains magazine presents videographer Rich Luckin's documentary look at dome cars, some of the most amazing and popular passenger cars ever built. Narrated by television actor Michael Gross, this program chronicles the history of these glamorous railroad sightseeing cars, from the Burlington Route's 1945 Silver Dome, to the full-length models operating today in excursion and charter service in the U.S., Canada, and Alaska. Approximate running time: 30 minutes
Trains magazine presents video producer Rich Luckin's documentary look at one of America's most famous passenger trains, the California Zephyr. Climb aboard the legendary Zephyr and experience the magic of this unique ride between Chicago and Oakland, Calif., with its spectacular stainless steel train, Rocky Mountain and Feather River Canyon scenery, and dome cars galore! Approximate running time: 60 minutes
America & The Passenger Train
Trains magazine presents famed transportation videographer Rich Luckin's documentary look at America's passenger trains, from the 1830s to the first decade of the 21st century. From steam trains with wooden coaches to sleek diesel-powered streamliners, and from dome cars and Santa Fe's high-level trains to Amtrak's Acela Express, this documentary gives an overview of our nation's railroad passenger service from coast to coast. Approximate running time: 55 minutes
In the new DVD, Locomotive 2017, Trains correspondent Chris Guss explores the latest locomotive models across North America. Get a trackside view of all the action; new power, rebuilt power, vintage power, snowplows, and more, featuring:
- Western New York & Pennsylvania Railroad and Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad's six-axle Alcos.
- FP9s with a snowplow working a Southern Ontario short line.
- Florida East Coast Railway and use of liquefied natural gas.
- South Carolina's Pickens Railway's fleet of 1970s GE U-boats and modern Dash 8s.
- BNSF Needles Sub heavy grades.